There are many reasons why someone may be looking to whiten or brighten their facial skin. As we age, the effects of sun exposure, age, or even injury can make themselves a little too visible. While some concealers or other cosmetics can get the job done, not everyone is comfortable packing on the make-up every day.
Luckily, there are some wonderful all-natural ingredients (which you may have in your home right now!) which can gently and effectively lighten dark spots, aid with color correction, and add a youthful brightness to your skin. No harsh chemicals, no scrubbing, and no painful treatments.
Simply follow these steps to make your own mask at home.
You will need
- All-natural plain yogurt – avoid fat-free varieties.
- Natural honey – some stores sell corn syrup as “honey.” Read the label carefully and go with the real thing.
- One lemon (for juice).
- A small bowl.
- A spoon for mixing.
- A wooden or plastic applicator.
Measure out one tablespoon each of the yogurt, honey, and lemon juice.
If the honey is slow to move, or has small crystals in it, you can put it in a bowl and place the bowl in some warm water for 10 minutes. This will allow the honey to re-liquefy, making mixing and application much smoother.
Mix all three ingredients together until you have a uniform, easily spreadable mask. Set bowl aside.
Mask application & removal
Always begin with clean skin. Remove all make-up and wash your face using your favorite cleanser. Pat your skin dry.
Secure your hair away from your face using hair bands, hair pins, or a towel.
Using a clean wooden or plastic applicator, look into the mirror and begin applying the mask mixture evenly, covering your entire face. Be careful to keep the mask well away from your eyes, as lemon juice will sting.
Once the mask has been applied, relax for 20 minutes and allow the mixture to work. If at any time you feel stinging, itching, or irritation, rinse the mask off straight away. Your skin may be sensitive to one or more of the ingredients.
When it’s time to remove the mask, use a clean towel and warm water to gently loosen the mask and wipe it away. Continue until all of the mask has been removed. Finish up with a quick cold water rinse to minimize pores, and pat dry.
As with many skin treatments, your skin may appear slightly red or pinkish immediately after the mask is removed. This is normal, and should subside in a few hours.
Use this mask twice a week for at least one month before judging the results. The effects of the skin lightening will accumulate over time and become more evident after several applications.
Be sure to leave at least three days between treatments. More frequent applications could irritate your skin, and will not speed up the color correction or brightening process.
Gentle, all-natural approaches take longer because they do not use harsh ingredients.
Why this works
Each of the three ingredients in the mask offers benefits to your complexion.
- Yogurt – contains lactic acid, which works as a gentle chemical peel. This helps renew the surface of the skin and lessen the appearance of uneven skin tones. Yogurt also contains B vitamins, which have an overall brightening effect. This will lessen the appearance of acne scars, age spots, or sun damage.
- Honey – real honey is a natural antibacterial agent. This helps to cleanse the skin and prevent further breakouts which can cause discoloration.
- Lemon juice – just like lemon juice can brighten your hair or whiten your teeth, it can also lighten your skin. Citric acid and lemon juice acts as a gentle, natural bleaching agent. Lemons are also rich in vitamin C, which helps to nourish the skin, giving it a youthful radiance.
Some skin-whitening products claim to work fast, but they may wind up harming your skin and causing further discoloration. Making an all-natural homemade mask is a gentle alternative which can achieve the desired whitening and brightening effect over time.